Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spring has Arrived!

Last Saturday David finally came through on his promise to Elijah to buy him a bike. I have been fighting this purchase for a long time. My reservations come from our extreme lack of storage space, the need to juggle/carry the bike and a stroller up and down stairs simultaneously, and dealing with Elijah hitting people on the sidewalk (he likes to play “chicken” with pedestrians when riding his scooter). But David was convinced that a bike-free life could retard his development. So, dear Elijah, if you get into Harvard in a few years, thank your dad for the bike, meanwhile, I’m glad I get to trip over it every time I enter your room.
On a positive note, last week we returned to a blooming, beautiful NYC.

Riverside Park
Central Park
Play date in Central Park today
I'm realizing there's a tongue-theme going on in these pictures.
Elijah reverently paying homage at the John Lennon memorial in Strawberry Fields, Central Park.
On to other news....
David told me about Elder Uchtdorf's talk on patience in priesthood session. Specifically the following section:
"In the 1960s, a professor at Stanford University began a modest experiment testing the willpower of four-year-old children. He placed before them a large marshmallow and then told them they could eat it right away or, if they waited for 15 minutes, they could have two marshmallows... Only 30 percent were able to wait... The children who could not wait struggled later in life and had more behavioral problems, while those who waited tended to be more positive and better motivated, have higher grades and incomes, and have healthier relationships."

I thought this was a hilarious study--one of those studies I don't quite believe. In the same way, I don't believe in horoscopes nor Chinese fortunes cookies, but every once in a while I read one for the entertainment and "what if" factor. Therefore, I thought I'd try a certain 4-year-old out on the experiment. I used lollipops. There was little hesitation and the lollipop was gone within minutes. I personally attribute this to his huge heart, wanting to share the second lollipop with his mother, rather than a lack of patience. Besides, NEVER FEAR! David bought Elijah a bike. Therefore, Elijah's adulthood positivity, motivation, good grades and income are already guaranteed.


One more thing:
A milestone for Claire: She is now officially able to climb out of the crib. This is at an earlier age than Elijah. I would say this isn't because Elijah lacked the ability at a young age, but more because he has always valued his sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I'm weird because I never learned how to ride a bike (well, not a two-wheeler at least)...

    ReplyDelete

General Conferece

General Conference weekend! We picked up Elijah on Saturday night and then headed to the Provo Creamery. Fortunately for us, Elijah's fr...