~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There have been certain moments in my life when I have felt really old: turning 10 and knowing that I’d never be a single-digit age again, walking across campus at boarding school, driving a van full of my friends to TP someone’s house, riding in an airplane by myself on the way to the MTC, teaching a charla in Chile, sitting next to David as we drove away from the Baton Rouge temple, teaching myself to drive stick shift at 3am in freezing Ann Arbor, trying to vote while two kids fought for my attention, editing a manuscript, having Elijah in Primary with me last Sunday (his poor neighbor got quite a beating), turning 30.This year I have often found myself stroking the skin where my neck meets my chin. I’m starting to look different, and besides my imaginary loosening skin, I can’t really put a finger on what it is exactly that makes me a decade older. Wisdom? Crows’ feet? Varicose veins? Perhaps all of the above. Perhaps it’s just Father Time. Perhaps I’ll wear a purple suit coat with shoulder pads tomorrow. Maybe I’ll get a perm and break a hip while I’m at it.
PS. Someday soon I will put up the Christmas post. The number of pictures to sort through has been slightly daunting.
Happy Birthday yesterday, Caroline. We sent a card, but I think a little too late for it to get to you by yesterday. I did convince Brian NOT to buy you a 5# tub of cheeseballs though.
ReplyDeleteBe sure to post a photo of you in the purple jacket with shoulder pads:) By the way, if you really want to feel old, try having one of your Beehives from that youth temple trip, turn 30 and pregnant with her 3rd. Now that's old!!! Happy Birthday!! Love ya!!! P.S. Way to go David doing laundry is ALWAYS a good present, birthday or otherwise.
ReplyDelete