I have almost simultaneously accepted a full time position for the first time since having kids and also been called to the busiest calling at church that I have ever had: RS president. Now I must say that both of these new positions scare me and I have been devising secret ways to possibly get out of them. In my more lucid moments, I remember that I have received spiritual confirmations that both of these positions are right for me right now.
Now, here is a post that I started weeks ago about a wonderful trip David and I went on. Retrospectively, it seems as if it was our last fling before life got complicated. And can I just say that the first sentence I wrote to this post weeks ago is all too painful right now, a pain that I hope to write about later but that is too fresh right now, when the tears flow so freely at the thought of our loss...
Sometimes you don't know how much you miss someone until you see them again.
That's what happened when we landed in Mexico City. It was mainly little things that helped me remember: singing advertisements from the radio repetitively: "Chedraui cuesta menos." Riding in the backseat of a taxi being similar to riding a roller coaster minus the safety precautions.
Blatant faith: Maria adorning walls, the cross hanging from the Uber rear view mirror. Stoplight street shows: fire-blowers, music makers, dancers. Always being aware of my visual difference (although this wasn't good nor bad).
Our first order of business was strolling through our old neighborhood in the pouting rain. It was nice being in another place where worries are far away (I had a lot on my mind, to the point of insomnia). David and I walked together under an umbrella with our nostalgia. I love being with David more than anyone. I think I had forgotten that too. We ate choco mazapán atole and bean and cheese tamales. That night, we had a wonderful dinner with amazing people: David's former co-workers. I had the best fish ever: totoaba, which is apparently and endangered species. Mamey pie finished off our 4 hour dinner.
The next morning, David and I ran a brisk 6 miles around Chapultepec.
Of course, the most important meal was tacos al pastor.
Chinatown in the background:
Turkey anyone?
This little guy (plus a javelina quesadilla) was eaten by the manliest man alive.
Manliness is a way of life. A journey, not a destination.
The Mexican hairless dog: xoloescuincle
Downtown, the Catedral and the Zocalo
After a few nights alone, we joined the Lopez Frol family and Claire (who had been staying with them for a few weeks) and headed North. We hiked Pena de Barnal. It was a Monday and we saw a group of elders on their P-day. I told them that Claire and I were Oaxacenas, but I don't think they believed me. On the way to Guanajuato, de drove through
No comments:
Post a Comment