This is the dilemma.
I have told the kids they can't do anything fun until they do a basic checklist which includes: their chore (the 3 rotate bt trash, bathroom and common areas), their room, scripture reading, fun reading, piano practicing, duolingo, a computer math program, and maybe a few minor things they may be working on (writing a story, cleaning the pool, mowing the lawn, etc). Keep in mind these are all fit in between claire's reading camp, scout camp, swim team, gymnastics and an occasional playdate. Also, I am pretty lenient on most all of the "to do's" besides piano and clean room.
The dirty rooms and Claire's piano practicing have been keeping me inside to the point of insanity.
Have you noticed the abundance of blog posts lately?--another symptom.
I even organized under my bathroom sink and the filing cabinet. Who does that?--definite symptoms of insanity. I'm pretty sure they were a first for me.
But today I collapsed into social media which either makes me a bad person or makes me feel like a bad person--not sure which one. It definitely made me act like a bad person--hello outburst.
So, this is my attempt at a solution. I told them anything not picked up by bedtime goes in a box and can only be earned back with a chore. If it sits in the box for more than a week, it's permanently gone.
Now, I have a tendency to be wishy-washy, so we'll see how this goes, if it goes. At least thinking about it is giving me a dose of peace...we'll see what the half-life is.
In less-depressing news, Iris had an extremely productive morning (all while managing to do exactly none of the items on her checklist):
1) Created her own language. She translated her gibberish into "Dad is the best, number one."
2) Created her own religion named, "Le Poopoo" where it is ok for her to be lazy.
3) Created a song with lyrics in which president Obama was carrying flowers. Claire joined in on "Obama" with "Fifty Nifty United States."
4) Created in me a sense of awe: is early onset PMS possible? Subject, aged 5 and three fourths.
All before 9am.
Busy girl.
Trying not to smile
She stomped into the kitchen and gave me this note with a big frown, yet when I asked her if she wanted a hug, she stomped into my arms.Fancy that, the girls are now asleep (the boys won't be home from scout camp until about 11pm) and their room is clean. It turns out the solution was as simple as putting a box in front of their door. That may be its new home.
And I get to have fun with the kids tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment