Sunday, February 5, 2012

My first recipe post

I have never done a recipe post, for good reason--I'm not a good cook. But this is a delicious, borrowed recipe from a world-renowned cook: Betsy Nagel.
Taco Soup
As I prepare to make this soup tonight, I remember an old man who cleans bathrooms in the middle of nowhere:  Xochicalco, Mexico. We were visiting the ruins and my son struck up a conversation with him about poisonous bugs, or something. When I told him where we were from, the first impression he mentioned of our country was that we survive on a diet of canned food (“comida enlatada”). At the time, I dispelled the myth, but today I reinforce it proudly.
I haven’t made this soup in a long time. I made it a lot as a newly-wed because: 1) it's easy, 2) it's cheap, 3) it moves bowels (David likes that).

2 cans of kidney beans
1 can of diced tomatos
1 can of green beans
1 can of corn
1 packet of taco seasoning

Put it all into a pot and heat. You may use as many add-ins as you want: cheese, sour cream, chips, road kill (that’s my own touch), etc.
Now, this technically isn’t a proper recipe post without a beautiful food picture, but I’m fresh out of road kill. Stay tuned…

2 comments:

  1. You made this for us when we stayed with you in Staten Island forever ago and I still make it. My kids love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love taco soup. But now I won't be able to eat it without thinking of David's bowels. Darn.

    So fun to catch up on your cute family!! Congrats on the move back to the U.S.A.!! That taco bell drive thru is a beautiful thing, ain't it?! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

General Conferece

General Conference weekend! We picked up Elijah on Saturday night and then headed to the Provo Creamery. Fortunately for us, Elijah's fr...