Now it’s been not yet 3 days since Karen has come to live with us. Of course my biggest worry about having someone live with us relates to my cooking insecurities. I have a meager bag of cooking tricks and have already managed to pull out a few duds in a short time.
I have not regularly cooked for an adult since…well, never. David and I have a “fend for yourself” policy, meaning I eat the kids’ slobbered-on leftovers and he has a bowl of lucky charms at midnight. And my kids are the best human scavengers this side of the universe. Even little Iris. I have been contemplating rolling vegetables in dirt and then strategically placing them in obscure corners and in the trashcan, thus increasing the likelihood that she’ll eat them. Poor Karen will not only have to deal with Mexican and American culture shock, but also Garcia culture shock.
Good news for my kids is that I’m usually a kinder/more patient mother when we are around other people. I think twice about losing my temper, which of course is only an annual occurrence anyway.
In other news, Monday started Elijah’s 6 weeks of summer break. Friday was the end-of-the-year show. There was singing, musical instruments, and dancing. Why they placed Elijah and his partner center-stage (although they wandered), I will never know. I got several comments afterward about him stealing the show, which I’m not sure whether they were meant as compliments. Anyway, E treated the show not so much as dancing, but bumper cars and tug of war. Here's a little taste before it got out of hand:
This is about when the party started:
No comments:
Post a Comment