Thursday, December 9, 2010

Karate and Ballet

Something inside of me tells me it’s wrong to watch little kids fighting each other as grownups yell: “kick to the head” and “punch him harder.” Kinda like cock fights and dog fighting in USA are illegal—it’s just not right. But somehow Karate is legal and somehow my child ended up in it. We have gotten mixed reviews from people who know the nature of Elijah. Are we giving him the tools to do real damage or are we teaching him discipline? A few things about Karate. First through Karate, we are now introducing a fourth language in which he is supposed to start learning vocabulary (they are often quizzed on how to say student, school, teacher, parts of their outfit, counting, etc). Once I heard him answer “bonjour” to one of the Japanese questions; almost laughed out loud. And for some reason, I just don’t like when people bow at me. What am I supposed to do in return? There’s no way I’m going for the full 90 degree bow in return—that’s just weird. As of now, I twitch my head and that will just have to do. Elijah also has a swimming class once a week through his school—David goes with him. Through both sports we have noticed his philosophy is “it’s not how you play the game, it’s who wins.” Strategy=dirty, pull the opponent behind, roll over him, cheat, etc. We will have to defer to his father on this one since he is the red-card master (until he kisses up to the referee sufficiently).
And Claire is in ballet once a week. She’s only been a few times and it’s still a little painful to watch since she’s not yet in her realm of comfort.

Proof I love my kids: sitting in Mexican traffic for 45 minutes each way; it's less than 3 miles from the house. I feel like I have near-death experiences every time I enter that traffic.

And a few weeks ago we got to go the the sealing of our friends. The temple is beautiful and I hear it's the only one besides SLC that has a visitors' center (anyone know if this is true?).

4 comments:

  1. D.C. has a visitor's center.

    Your kids make me smile. I'm sure it drives you crazy, but they sure are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, you WILL bend your torso and BOW when one of MY japanese friend would bow to greet. There is NOTHING awkward about a white woman bowing and shaking hand at the same time... There is an intricate science to bowing, if you would be interested in indulging ourselves in such a conversation when we meet next time. For example, when you are greeted by a 90 degrees bow, it is perfectly okay to do a short 15-45 degrees bow. In fact, equating or going lower than initial bow would suggest that you want to let them know that her bow wasn't low enough...and such other BSs

    DC does have a visitor center, but you should know that Provo temple also has one. I saw people with tags all smiling and wanting to initiate missionary conversations to whomever that remotely resembles Gentilic attributes. To be exact, Nauvoo temple has one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok let me get this right...I have been to the one at Idaho falls, winter quarters, and Laie, Hawaii but I know that St. George, Mesa, L.A. And I am sure there are others that have visitor's centers

    ReplyDelete

General Conferece

General Conference weekend! We picked up Elijah on Saturday night and then headed to the Provo Creamery. Fortunately for us, Elijah's fr...