Sunday, April 5, 2009

Elijah enjoying General Conference


David enjoyed a few minutes of General Conference from his office. He's still there and says he will hopefully be home before 10pm (that usually translates to somewhere between 11 & midnight). As always, I loved Conference and am sad it's already over.

Musings: My favorite talk (in a large part because it was while Elijah was asleep and I was able to focus) was Elder Pearson (Saturday Afternoon). 2 things hit home:
1) "We get what we focus on." I have been thinking about this a lot lately, in a large part because I read a similar scripture a few days ago that impacted me: "For that which ye do send out shall return to you again, and be restored" (Alma 41: 15). I have been working on emotion control lately. I have never considered myself an emotional person, in fact, quite the opposite. At the same time, several unwanted emotions seem innate and unavoidable. For example, today Elijah accidentally stepped on Claire (Elijah, as usual, was excited, and Claire has a way these days of quickly sneaking up behind us). The “natural man” response is anger. Trying to stifle these emotions and replace with positive/constructive reactions has become empowering. It feels good to sit in my emotional driver’s seat. In relation to the scripture and quote, as I control my emotions, I see Elijah is better able to control his (slightly). On the same note, when I get frustrated, I notice that he grunts and moans a lot more over spilled milk.
2) "Discouragement and distraction (lack of focus) are 2 of Satan's most effective tools, but they are also bad habits." Amen to that!

A few other conference tidbits: Don’t say long public prayers. Don’t wear your watch into the temple. I particularly noticed the several talks on temples. A few weeks ago I went a temple session for the first time in about a year. The Spirit there was incredible! Something I’m definitely hoping to experience more of in the future. In fact, David forgot to get me a Valentine’s Day gift this year. I told him not to spend money on me, which of course stifled his fun and temporarily erased the dollar signs from his eyes. At 11pm that night he gave me a coupon that promised me a monthly temple visit this year—best present yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

General Conferece

General Conference weekend! We picked up Elijah on Saturday night and then headed to the Provo Creamery. Fortunately for us, Elijah's fr...